In this episode, Hugh sits down with Francis Gurry, Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). He has served in this role since October 2008 and will finish his second term this month.
Their discussion features a variety of global IP topics including:
1) Origins of WIPO in the late-1800s and its efforts to promote international cooperation while balancing political tensions;
2) Future of multilateral IP treaties and bilateral agreements;
3) Impacts of Brexit and German courts on the EU’s Unitary Patent System;
4) AI and its effects;
5) Social media and IP, e.g. failure of Parliament and Congress to adopt SOPA and ACTA;
6) Perspectives on the future of IP development.